Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Re-discovering one's true calling.

Ok, let's start shaping this mother up.

It was about one year ago when a friend asked me if I wanted to be the penciler for this comic book idea he had on his mind. At the time I was doing some graphic design, but it was not doing so well. So I figured what the heck, I'm going to get payed to draw a cool story and I get to design all the characters. It was a long time dream of mine to draw a comic book, so I got on board with the project. It had been a while since I last sketched something, so I asked him if I could do an art test first, just so he could be convinced that my style (if I ever had one) was adequate to  the story and to prove myself that I could still do it. It took me a while to get used to the old pencil and artboard, but little by little the hands remembered what it felt to draw again.

This was my first drawing in years.

The character was a were-wolf, a really nasty one. I decided to put some kind of ripped clothing as a form of a kilt, because he had to keep some kind of clothing, (kinda like Hulk's pants). I had never drawn a werewolf so I think it ended up pretty decent. When my friend saw this he was pleased with it and we started to organize the whole thing. This was the beginning of an interesting learning experience.

Next on the list: the character design process.

No comments:

Post a Comment