Monday, January 31, 2011

Character design

(Continued from this Post) Alright, so I was on my way to create a universe based on a very cool story. It's only fair to say that the story was not mine, but I had complete freedom in the creation of the characters. When designing a character, the first thing that you must have is the complete profile, which is the description of his or her or its phisical traits, as well as their personality and relationship to the story.

There was a fair amount of research needed in order to make an original interesting and original creation. From the type of outfit to the weapons or looks, you have to investigate what new traits you can contribute so the characters are fresh and exiting in new ways, and not another Wolverine or another Spawn.
In my case I used the Internet (obviously) to find out what I needed. From the different types of knives for the main character, which is a werewolf hunter, to military and pilot uniforms, F-22 airplanes and of course Dragons, big badass dragons. There is always something exciting to learn about everything, even if the story is not entirely based on reality, research is a fundamental part that reflects on your artwork.

These are the initial sketches exploring the outfits and weapons of the Hunter, some different kinds of dragons and the bad guy, a big ugly demon. First time I show some of this sketches btw.

 


 

1 comment:

  1. I like your quality line...even with the roughs you can tell you pay attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete