Monday, February 21, 2011

Digital Art Process : Nadia

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine asked me for a commission for her boyfriend. She wanted a comic style portrait of the both of them, and she wanted it as soon as possible, since the dude was returning from a trip in just a week. Normally that would have been plenty of time for a job like this, but I had another project due to that very same date. Time, my old arch enemy was at it again.

Since I had to do it in just a few couple of hours I opted to do the whole thing digitally. I could have done it traditionally with the old pencil and bond paper, I could even have used my newly constructed Light box (which I will tell you all about it later) but, due to the circumstances this was a perfect opportunity to test my recent learned skills in Manga Studio Ex 4 (which you can see in this). So here is the process that I usually follow:

1. Sketch
After the description of the client, the first thing I do is a quick sketch establishing the general position of the characters, in this case my friend asked me for them both to hold cooking instruments in one hand (supposedly this dude cooks like iron chef) and hugging with the other one. This was already the second sketch for the piece since the first one was rejected. Normally I use a blue and red pencil for the initial lines. In Manga Studio I used the Pencil tool in a blue color.

2. Refined Sketch
With the overall sketch authorized I go further with the details (face, clothes, hair, props, etc). I draw on top of the blue lines (as a guide) making finer lines using the Pencil Tool with a black color. Once I have them ready I send them again for authorization.

3. Art line
Usually I try to be objective with my clients and draw them as similar as I can with the comic book style. This is where I have fun, because I tend to draw them super hero or super heroine like. After a couple of little changes here and there I finally have the artline ready for the inking stage.

4. Inks
This was the part where I enjoyed the most of the whole process, because the art becomes solid and very much stands out. I try to respect the thickness of the original lines and use as much as the original pencil art line as I can, redefining and being consistent with how I'm intending to do with the next stage, which is the coloring stage. I used the Pen Tool for most of the curved lines and the Magic Marker tool for the straight lines. Here is where Manga Studio Ex 4 really stood out from the other softwares I have used. It really emulates the traditional tools, with the digital advantages that comes with it (hello multiple Undos).

5. Color
The last stage it is also very fun and challenging at the same time, because you have to decide, which coloring style you are going to use, if you want to give it a comic book style of coloring or a more painting style, or a cartoony style, it all depends on what you have to offer and what the client wants. Here I opted for a Paint style because that is what I'm trying to get better at these days. Color was done in Photoshop CS5.

Everybody has differences on their methods, but basically this process is pretty much it. Of course the more you do it the better you get at it, and I must say that this would have never been possible If I didn't used Manga Studio Ex. This was the first commission (or for that matter the first piece ever) done by me 100% digital. It really saves you time and steps (in the traditional way I would have to make changes on the original artwork and scanned the drawing in order to color it). I recorded myself during the whole thing, so I will post the video later on together with a quick review of the software.

4 comments:

  1. Esau, Do you think that you could have made that drawing with the debut version of manga. I was thinking about getting it. As of now I have a Wacom intuos4 large and I wanted to start clip art and comics digitally. Also, I'm trying not to buy a software higher than $80.00.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris. Actually, in my opinion, when you are starting in the digital art world, it doesn't really matter which software you use, you just need a tablet and lots of attitude to learn and practice. Later I haven't used Manga Studio that much, (more Photoshop) but it is a great software.

    I think when you buy an Intuos 4, if you register on the Wacom site, they give you a free version of Sketchbook Pro, which is another great software you can use (and since its free it is under $80.00 :3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Esau, I need to get that free software it will definetly give help me alot. Oh, and one more thing, can you give me a link to your gallery. I would appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anytime man.
    http://eldropper.blogspot.com/
    http://drpr.deviantart.com/

    ReplyDelete