Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hands on: Sketchbook Pro

A while ago, when I was looking for means to digitally improve my drawings. In this journey I came across some very interesting software mentions in a couple of different blogs and podcasts. Of course there was always Photoshop and Painter as top artists choices to acomplish any task. As my investigation continued, I began to hear (or read rather) some other alternatives to those programs that not many people know about.

I was watching a live stream of Scottie Young, amazing artist that you should already know, and someone asked him what software was he using.  -"I do most of my sketching in Sketchbook Pro "- he said. He can produce some serious art with that software, it most be worth the watch. So I got it as soon as I could and started to use it with my Wacom Tablet. These quick sketches were actually my first attempt to digitally ink anything at all.



They suck I know.

Needless to say it takes a while to get used to the program, but it can be of great assistance for several reasons. It feels very natural, very real like pencil brushes, as well as other tools like the marker or the pen brush. I have seen it been used on the creation of concept art for cars and other vehicles. I have used it in the creation of logos, and some cartoon characters. 

Here are some other examples of things done in Sketchbook Pro, after using it a few times, it gets easier.

 

And of course, the crown jewel is the Legend of Zelda Tribute, but I can't show you that one just jet. 

It is a good software overall, I haven't fully explore it yet but I recommend you to check it out if you can, you might find it useful for the daily sketching. It just occurred to me this moment to make some video tutorials trying out all the different programs that I use to sketch of to make final art. I think it could interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment