Monday, February 14, 2011

Sevenfold: Rise and Fall.

Comic book convention came and went, and we had a blast. It was our first experience as creators and being sited on the artist side of the whole thing was simply awesome. Sevenfold is the name of our comic and it was only the beginning of the 2010. -"This is my year"- I thought. This is the year where I come back to life doing what I thought I have forgotten for many years, drawing for a living.

Guess again.

We have had a couple of good talks with some editorial houses and the book was supposed to be selling in major magazine stores and comic book posts here in Mexico, but not just in my city, but in other major cities as well. We had planned to release 6 issues the first year, and if the book was successful, it would came for a second season the following year. We just had to keep working hard to make sure the book got out on time.



But even though we did it every month, for the first 3 months at least, something wasn't working. I don't know what it was, but the book was't selling as we had hoped. Together with mismatched partnerships with the editorial houses (which I'm not gonna name) we hit a wall that we could not evade.

Long story short, on october of that year, we could no longer support making the comic. We released only 3 issues out of 6. I have finished issue no. 4 completely and began issue no. 5. At this point, Ed, the creator of the story and Editor of the whole thing decided it was better to postpone it (indefinitely) than to continue. After all, making comics is a business and Sevenfold wasn't behaving like one.

So much for my big break in comics.

But, same as in life, everything happens for a reason. Something inside me told me it wasn't over, not like that at least. This Sevenfold experience taught me many many things, and the most important one was that I re-discovered my true calling in life. You can disguise it by trying to be something similar, but deep down you know what you are. You just have to be bold and face it.

I decided that moment that I wanted to become an artist, a comic book artist, no matter what, and I set myself to design a plan in order to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment